Some homeowners have opted to tackle home improvement projects in their homes to save money on contractors and other professionals. Although there are some tasks that can be handled by DIY homeowners, some repairs need to be made by professionals, such as electricians. If you are unsure whether or not it is time to call an electrician, here are some signs it is.
Lights that occasionally flicker might not be cause for concern, but when the lights constantly flicker, it could be a sign that something more sinister is going on with your electrical wiring. Flickering lights usually occur when certain appliances, such as the refrigerator, are used. Flickering lights could be an indication that the appliances are drawing large amounts of electricity from the circuits that are being used to power them. To resolve this, the electrician might have to establish dedicated wiring for those appliances.
Outlets in your home should be room temperature or cooler. However, some outlets can feel warm to the touch. You might even notice some blackening near the edge of the switch plate. This particular problem is more common in older homes.
If your outlets are warm, it could be a sign that they have aluminum wiring, which might need to be replaced. It could also be an indication that the outlet is overloaded. The electrician will need to check the circuits and determine if additional or separate circuits are needed for the items connected to the outlet.
Two-Prong Outlet Plugs
Two-prong outlet plugs were commonplace in the past. However, more electricians are opting for three-prong outlets to give homeowners more options for connecting their electrical equipment. A two-prong outlet could be a sign it is time to call in an electrician. It is possible that the electrical system in the home needs to be updated. The two-prong outlet could also indicate that the electrical system is not grounded. If it is not, your home might not be safe for you and your family.
As an added measure, check the wiring behind the outlet. If there are pieces of rubber or cloth covering the wires, it is not safe. The cloth and rubber did not provide the insulation needed and your home could be at risk for a fire.
Before considering any home improvement project or repair that involves electricity, always consult with an electrician. He or she can determine if more technical skills are required to complete the job.Share